If you suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident caused by a negligent driver, you may be wondering whether it would be better to hire a lawyer or to represent yourself when negotiating your settlement. However, the decision is really an easy one.
You would be at a serious disadvantage if you try to settle your claim with the insurance company and could lose out on a significant amount of compensation you deserve. Here's how retaining a lawyer can benefit you.
Five Ways an Attorney Can Help in a Motorcycle Accident Case
It is important to select an experienced motorcycle accident attorney and not a personal injury lawyer specializing in only car, slip and fall, and other personal injury cases. Motorcycle accident attorneys will understand riders' unique challenges when filing an insurance claim after a collision. Here are five ways your lawyer can help you:
- Obtain evidence. Your lawyer will conduct a thorough investigation into the cause of your motorcycle crash and collect the evidence you need to prove the other driver was at fault. They will also obtain your medical and wage loss records to prove the amount of compensation you deserve for your injuries.
- Value your claim. A skilled attorney who has a track record of success in settling and litigating motorcycle wreck claims will be able to accurately value how much you should receive for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering in your settlement.
- Negotiate with the insurance company. Your lawyer would take over all communications with the insurance adjuster and negotiate your settlement for you. This would prevent you from making mistakes, such as agreeing to give a recorded statement, or agreeing to accept less than you are entitled to from the insurance company.
- Work with lien holders. There could be a lien on your settlement by a health insurance company or medical provider that must be paid out of your settlement. Your attorney may be able to work out an agreement with the lien holder to accept less than what you owe them, which will result in you receiving more money.
- Litigate your claim. If the insurance company refuses to be reasonable or the statute of limitations, which is the deadline to sue, will expire soon, your lawyer would file a lawsuit against the negligent motorist and litigate your claim.
Did you or a family member suffer injuries in a motorcycle crash? Our skilled motorcycle accident legal team understands the complexities in these cases and is committed to obtaining the maximum recovery you deserve in your settlement. To learn more about how we can assist you, call our Norfolk office to schedule your free consultation today.