If a negligent driver causes your motorcycle accident, you are more likely to suffer catastrophic injuries or die than a victim of an auto crash. Because of the seriousness of your injuries, you could incur expensive medical bills for your medical care and be off work for months or longer while you recover. You need to do everything you can to build a strong case for compensation against the negligent driver, and you must start doing so right after your collision.
Important Steps That Can Help Protect Your Right to Compensation for Your Injuries
The steps you take following your motorcycle accident can have a strong impact on the strength of your claim for compensation from the at-fault driver. Here are the crucial steps you should take:
- Seek prompt medical care. You should obtain immediate medical treatment if you know you are injured. Even if you do not believe that you are hurt or think that the injuries are minor, you need to be examined by a doctor soon after your collision. This protects your health and avoids disputes with the insurance company about the cause or seriousness of your injuries.
- Call the police. You should call the police at the scene of your collision and obtain a copy of the police report. The police report will contain vital information, such as the contact information for the driver, a narrative of how the accident occurred, the officer’s conclusions as to who was at fault, and whether a citation was issued.
- Take photographs. It is important to take photographs of the damage to your motorcycle and the vehicles involved in the wreck, road and weather conditions, your injuries, and anything else that you believe may be important. Your pictures can be powerful evidence to prove the severity of your accident and help establish its cause.
- Obtain contact information. You should obtain the contact information for the driver, his insurance company, and any witnesses to your collision. Neutral witnesses who have no stake in your claim can provide compelling corroboration that the motorist was the at-fault party. If you do not get their contact information right away, you may never be able to locate them.
- Retain an attorney. You need to retain an experienced motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible after your collision. He can investigate the cause of your accident, file your claim, and negotiate your settlement so that you receive what you deserve from the insurance company.
- File a claim. In order to receive the damages that you are entitled to, you must file a claim with the negligent driver’s insurance company. It is best to have your lawyer file your claim and handle all communications with the insurance adjuster. This can help make sure that no mistakes are made that could hurt your claim and that you are not taken advantage of.
Contact Us for Assistance
If you or a loved one were injured in a motorcycle accident in Norfolk, our experienced motorcycle accident attorneys are here to prove the other driver’s negligence and to fight for the compensation that you deserve for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. To have your questions answered and to learn the next steps we will take on your behalf, fill out our convenient online form to schedule your free consultation today.