Steps You Need to Take to Correct an Inaccurate Motorcycle Accident Police Report in Virginia

Police Accident Report After a Motorcycle WreckIf you were injured in a motorcycle collision in Virginia Beach or Norfolk, a police report could provide you with helpful information, such as details of how the crash occurred, the negligent driver’s and witnesses’ statements, and the officer’s conclusions as to who was at fault.

However, law enforcement officers are human and sometimes make mistakes. Here are the steps to take if you discover the police officer made a mistake in your police report. You should also retain an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer to help you get the report corrected and fight for the compensation you deserve with the insurance company.

Steps to Take to Get an Inaccurate Police Report Corrected

When trying to get a police report corrected, you must remember that it is easier to correct factual errors, such as the date of the crash or the make of your vehicle, than disputed facts, such as who caused the collision. However, this doesn’t mean you should give up on getting a disputed fact corrected. Here are the steps you should take to try to correct errors in the police report:

  • Check the police department website. Your first step is to check the law enforcement department website or call them to see if there is a procedure you should follow for notifying them of errors in a police report. Be sure to follow any instructions they give you.
  • Be polite. When contacting the police officer who made the mistake, be respectful. They are much more likely to listen to what you have to say if you are polite when discussing the issue, even if you do not change the officer’s mind about what they wrote.
  • Notify the officer promptly. It is best to contact the police officer as soon as you notice an error in the police report.
  • Present evidence. You should provide the police officer with whatever evidence you have, such as your motorcycle’s vehicle registration, pictures showing the damage to the vehicles, and eyewitness statements. You are more likely to convince them to change the police report if you have strong evidence proving the error.
  • Write a statement. If you cannot get the police report corrected, you should ask the officer to attach a statement to the police report that explains the error.

If you want to be successful in getting errors in a police report corrected, you should retain a skilled motorcycle accident attorney after the crash to contact the police for you. They can also file your claim with the insurance company so that you obtain the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Call our Norfolk office at 757-625-1214 or complete our convenient online form to schedule your free initial consultation today to learn how the dedicated attorneys at Tavss Fletcher can help you.

Comments are closed.