You may expect to be treated fairly by the negligent driver’s insurance company if you were injured in a motorcycle accident that was not your fault. Unfortunately, this may not happen—even if you have a strong case against the at-fault motorist.
One tactic the insurance adjuster could employ is to delay your claim. It is essential to recognize the signs that they are delaying settling your case, so you can take immediate steps to protect your rights.
Why the Insurance Company May Try to Delay a Claim
An insurance company is a business whose primary goal is to make a profit. One way they achieve this is to delay paying valid claims of victims of motorcycle accidents.
They may prolong the settlement of your case in hopes of wearing you down. The insurance company hopes that this causes you to stop pursuing your claim or to accept a quick settlement for far less compensation than you deserve for your injuries.
Tactics the Insurance Company Could Use to Delay Your Claim
You need to be aware of the delay tactics the insurance company could use in your case to protect your rights. Here are common delay tactics they may employ:
- Taking too long to verify their insured’s insurance coverage
- Claiming that they were unable to reach you to discuss your claim
- Not returning your calls or responding to your emails or letters
- Not giving you your claim number
- Misrepresenting that they need more evidence or need to conduct a more thorough investigation in order to settle your claim when this is not true
- Falsely claiming a provision in their insured’s insurance policy excludes your claim
- Changing the insurance adjuster on your case and starting over the process of settling your claim
- Sending you requests for documents and paperwork you need to complete one piece at a time
- Raising invalid disputes to your claim, such as that you were partially at fault in causing your motorcycle crash or that your injuries are not as severe as you claim
- Denying your claim or refusing to offer you a fair settlement to force you to file a lawsuit and litigate your claim
What You Should Do if the Insurance Company Delays Settling Your Claim
Do you suspect the insurance company is engaging in delay tactics in settling your claim? Your first step should be to retain an experienced motorcycle accident attorney to take over communications with the insurance adjuster and negotiate your settlement. Call our Norfolk office at 757.625.1214 or fill out our online form to schedule your free initial consultation today to learn more about how we will fight for the compensation you deserve under Virginia law.