When you go to the hospital as a patient or a visitor, the last thing you expect to happen is to leave with serious injuries caused in a slip and fall accident. Fortunately, you may be entitled to compensation if your fall was caused by the hospital’s negligence.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents at Hospitals
Slip and fall accidents occur in patient rooms, the cafeteria, food courts, public restrooms, and other places throughout the hospital. Here are some major reasons that slip and falls happen:
- Spilled food and drinks. Spilled food and drinks in a cafeteria or food court can pose a fall risk if not cleaned up quickly. In addition, many hospital staff take their meals to their work areas and visitors bring food and drink to a patient’s room, increasing the likelihood that food and drink will be spilled on elevators and in hallways and patient’s rooms.
- Slippery floors. Floors in hospitals must be constantly cleaned for sanitary reasons. Unfortunately, this can cause floors to become dangerously slippery if they are wet or have been waxed.
- Damaged flooring. When torn and frayed carpet or broken flooring is not replaced promptly, it can become a tripping danger for unsuspecting patients, their families, and friends.
- Unsecured cords. When medical cords to equipment being used in a hospital room are not secured, patients, who may already be unstable, and their guests can trip over one and fall.
- Snow and ice. Parking lots and hospital entrances can become dangerously slippery when snow and ice are not removed quickly. Even large accumulations of water being tracked into the hospital by staff, patients, and visitors can pose a danger.
- Stairways. If steps are broken or uneven or handrails are missing or loose, an unsuspecting victim can suffer catastrophic injuries or death in a fall.
- Poor lighting. When there is insufficient lighting in parking lots or hospital hallways, it can be impossible for an individual to see a slip and fall hazard before it is too late.
Contact an Experienced Norfolk Slip and Fall Accident Attorney Today
If you were injured at a fall at a hospital, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. Our skilled and dedicated slip and fall accident lawyers are here to help you prove the hospital’s negligence in causing your injuries and to fight for the compensation you deserve. Call our Norfolk office today to schedule a free consultation.