Many people visit the grocery store at least once a week if not more frequently. While many of these excursions are completed without incident, in some cases, a person can suffer debilitating injuries in a slip and fall accident. This can result in the injured victim incurring expensive medical treatments and being unable to work until his injuries heal. However, if the grocery store’s negligence was the cause of his fall, he may be able to obtain compensation for his injuries.
What Are Common Causes of Grocery Store Slip and Fall Accidents?
There are many hazards at grocery stores due to the nature of the products being sold and the high traffic of customers, staff, and suppliers in the store. Some common causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Wet floors caused by spilled liquids, water from produce, or the weather being tracked into to store
- Slippery floors caused by cleaning
- Spills of dry goods, such as rice, beans, and flour
- Boxes and debris left in the aisles
- Boxes and goods falling off a shelf onto to an unsuspecting customer
- Cracked flooring and worn or frayed carpet that creates a tripping hazard
- Mechanical defects that result in refrigerators or freezers leaking
- Cracks and potholes in the parking lot
- Poor lightening
- Soap, water, and debris on the floor in public restrooms
- Broken shopping carts
What Is a Grocery Store’s Duty to Its Guests?
A grocery store has a duty to take reasonable steps to keep the store safe for customers and others, to repair hazardous conditions, and to put up warnings when dangerous conditions exist. Because of the number of people who use a grocery store on a daily basis, this can require vigilance on the part of grocery store staff. Whether the store owner’s actions were reasonable is often an area of dispute when a victim suffers injuries in a slip and fall accident.
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident at a grocery store, you will need the assistance of an experienced personal injury attorney to investigate your claim and prove your right to compensation. He can also negotiate a fair settlement with the grocery store’s insurance company. Call our office today to schedule a free consultation to learn how our experienced legal team can help you with your grocery store injury claim.