Why won’t my primary care doctor treat my injuries?

If you were hurt in a slip and fall or other premises liability accident, one of your first steps should be to seek prompt medical treatment. This protects your health and avoids Doctor Holding His Hand Out to Refuse Care disputes with the insurance company for the property owner about what caused your injuries and how serious they are.

However, it can be distressing to find out that your primary care doctor does not want to treat the injuries caused by your accident. Here are some common reasons physicians make this decision.

Why Your Physician May Not Treat Your Injuries

The reasons your doctor may tell you that they will not see you often have nothing to do with you. This is a common response of many primary care doctors when their patients are a victim of a premises liability or car accident.

Primary care doctors have many reasons for this decision. Here are a few of the most common reasons:

  • Specialist. You could suffer serious injuries in a premises liability accident, such as traumatic brain injuries, fractures, back injuries, or spinal cord injuries. Your doctor may not be qualified to treat your injuries and may refer you to a specialist.
  • Insurance company. It can be more complicated to submit bills for injuries caused in a premises liability accident to the insurance company than to a health insurance provider. Your physician may not want to go through the hassle of dealing with the insurance company or waiting to receive their payment, which is common in these cases.
  • Litigation. Your doctor may not want to be involved in a lawsuit if you are unable to reach a settlement with the insurance company. They may not want to take the time it would take to give a deposition or testify at your jury trial.
  • Lien. Your physician may have to wait to be paid out of your settlement proceeds. They may not want to agree to have a lien on your settlement and wait months or longer for your bills to be paid.

What You Should Do If Your Doctor Does Not Want to Treat You

Getting the medical care you need for your injuries strengthens your claim and will help you obtain all the compensation you deserve from the insurance company. If your physician refuses to see you, you will need to find another doctor. Here are ways to do this:

  • Ask your primary care doctor for a referral to a specialist or another physician who deals with injuries caused in premises liability accidents.
  • Ask your family, friends, and co-workers for recommendations of doctors who will treat your injuries.
  • Retain an experienced premises liability attorney. They may have a network of qualified physicians who see accident victims and can refer you to one.

Were you or a family member hurt in a premises liability accident in Virginia Beach or Norfolk? Call our Norfolk office to schedule a free consultation today to learn how our dedicated legal team can assist you.