One of the most catastrophic injuries that you can suffer in a car accident is an internal injury. You may not even realize that you sustained an injury right away since it can take days or longer for symptoms emerge. In Virginia, you may be entitled to compensation for your internal and other injuries from the negligent driver who caused your collision.
Top Internal Injuries Caused in a Norfolk Car Crash
Even in a minor accident, the force of impact can cause a victim’s body to be violently shaken or slammed against hard surfaces, like a dashboard, steering wheel, or vehicle door. As a result, internal injuries are common.
In some cases, the symptoms of an internal injury do not become apparent until they are life-threatening, and there can be long-term complications. Leading internal injuries caused by car accidents include:
- Broken ribs. Fractured ribs can be painful and can cause serious complications if they puncture organs, such as the lungs, or blood vessels.
- Internal bleeding. If blood vessels are damaged or severed, it can cause internal bleeding. It can be life-threatening if the internal bleeding is not stopped or a dangerous blood clot forms.
- Brain bleeding. In both a closed and open head injury, there can be internal bleeding that blocks oxygen from getting to certain parts of the brain. This can cause a person to suffer permanent brain damage.
- Abdominal aorta aneurysm. The abdominal aorta can be severed if the stomach is crushed or compressed during the collision. This injury is almost always fatal.
- Spleen. The spleen contains blood cells that can help fight diseases and infections. If it is ruptured in a car crash, blood can be released into the person’s body and cause his death.
- Liver. If the liver is torn in a collision, surgery will be needed to repair the damage and stop internal bleeding and other life-threatening complications.
- Kidney. A person who suffers injuries to his kidneys could require life-long dialysis or an organ transplant.
Contact Us If You Suffered Internal Injuries in an Auto Crash
If you suffered internal injuries in a car wreck, the experienced car accident attorneys at Tavss Fletcher are here to explain your legal options to you and to fight for the compensation you deserve from the negligent driver. To get started, call our Norfolk office to schedule a free initial consultation today.