Bicycling is a popular form of exercise for many people when the weather is nice. It is also a mode of transportation for many residents in the Norfolk and Virginia Beach area who are trying to save money or be more energy conscious.
However, riding a bicycle can become dangerous if other drivers fail to share the road responsibility with the rider. If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a bicycle crash, our experienced car accident attorneys are here to fight for your right to compensation.
Leading Causes of Tragic Bicycle Accidents
In Virginia, drivers and bicyclists are required to obey our state’s traffic laws. However, many preventable collisions occur when drivers violate traffic laws and engage in other negligent behaviors. Common reasons for these accidents include:
- Speeding. Drivers who are speeding often don’t have enough time to slow down and stop to avoid causing a crash. The bicycle rider can suffer catastrophic injuries when a motorist is speeding since they are hit with a stronger force.
- Failing to maintain a safe distance. All drivers and bicyclists have a duty to keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front of them so they can quickly stop or slow down if necessary. However, some motorists ignore this rule and cause a rear-end crash with a cyclist in front of them.
- Distracted driving. Driving when texting, talking on a cell phone, reading a GPS, and engaging in other distractions is always dangerous because it takes the person’s mind and eyes off the road. Distracted driving is even more hazardous if a bicycle rider is nearby because the driver is already less likely to see them.
- Drunk Driving. If a person is drunk or intoxicated due to drug use, their reaction time, judgement, vision, and other crucial driving skills will be impaired. This increases the likelihood that they will not see a rider or will make poor judgments that will lead to a crash.
- Opening a car door. A bicyclist could be seriously injured if a driver or passenger opens their vehicle door without looking and the door hits them, especially if they are thrown into the path of oncoming traffic.
How to Obtain the Compensation You Deserve
If you were hurt in a bicycle accident that was not your fault, you are entitled to be compensated for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. You need the help of a knowledgeable bicycle accident attorney to obtain all that you deserve in your settlement with the insurance company. To learn about our track record of success helping other clients like you and about your options, call our Norfolk office to schedule your free consultation today.