Taking a taxi is a popular means of transportation for both residents and visitors in Norfolk. While taxis are convenient, they can also be dangerous if an unsafe driver is behind the wheel. If you were injured in a taxi accident, the experienced lawyers at Tavss Fletcher are here to help you fight for the compensation you deserve.
Five Leading Causes of Taxi Crashes in Virginia
There are many causes of taxi accidents. Some involve the negligence of the taxi cab driver while others are caused by other negligent drivers. Here are the leading reasons you or a loved one could be hurt in a taxi collision:
- Speeding. Taxi drivers often speed in an effort to transport passengers quickly so they can get to the next ride and make more money. Unfortunately, this can make it harder for drivers to slow down or stop if necessary due to traffic. In addition, the injuries can be more catastrophic due to the greater force of impact caused by a speeding vehicle.
- Distracted driving. Texting and talking on a cell phone while driving are very dangerous types of distracted driving that taxi drivers engage in on a daily basis to schedule their next passenger or take care of personal business. Eating, drinking, and reading a GPS are other distractions that lead to collisions.
- Intoxication. Driving when drunk or drugged reduces driving abilities—such as judgment, vision, and reaction time—in crucial ways. An intoxicated driver is also more likely to engage in reckless behaviors, such as speeding, driving the wrong way on a road or highway, or making unsafe lane changes.
- Drowsy driving. Taxi drivers work long hours and are often too fatigued to drive safely. Driving when drowsy is as dangerous as drunk driving, which increases the risk that you and your family will be injured in a drowsy driving wreck.
- Maintenance. Taxi companies and drivers have a duty to inspect and maintain their taxis regularly. When this duty is breached, faulty brakes, tires, and other components can fail and cause the driver to lose control of his taxi.
Liability in a Taxi Accident Can Be Complicated
Liability in a taxi cab collision can be more complex than in traditional auto crash cases. The taxi driver, taxi company, and driver of the other vehicle involved in the wreck can all face responsibility for compensating you for your injuries.
Our knowledgeable attorneys will conduct a thorough investigation into the cause of your taxi accident and will pursue your claims for compensation against any at-fault parties. To learn more about how we can assist you, fill out our online form to schedule a free consultation today.