Expert Witnesses You May Need in Your Premises Liability Case

Expert Witness That Is Being Sworn in at CourtProving your right to compensation for injuries you suffered in a slip and fall or another type of premises liability case can be more complicated than you realize. You will need evidence, such as an accident report, photos, medical records, and witness testimony, to prove the business or property owner’s negligence and the seriousness of your injuries. When the issues are complicated or the insurance company continues to deny or reduce your claim, you may need to hire expert witnesses to help you settle your claim or win your case at a jury trial.

Types of Expert Witnesses That Can Be Useful in a Premises Liability Case

Expert witnesses are individuals who have expertise in a certain field due to their education, training, and work experience. Qualified expert witnesses can conduct an investigation and issue an opinion, which is often initially in a written report, on an issue that is in dispute. Common experts used in premises liability cases include:

  • Building inspector or engineer. If a building code violation caused your slip and fall or other accident, a building inspector or engineer can issue a report and testify about this. Even if there are no code violations, this expert may help you establish that a dangerous condition on the property caused your accident and that the owner should have known about it.
  • Accident reconstruction experts. An accident reconstruction expert can visit the scene of the accident, review accident reports and photos, and examine other evidence to recreate how an accident occurred. He may use complicated computer software to create the reenactment, which can be persuasive evidence to show to the jury if your case goes to trial.
  • Flooring expert. If your slip and fall happened on a floor at a home or business, you may need to hire a flooring or traction expert who can issue an opinion on how slippery the floor was and whether a lack of traction made it unsafe.
  • Medical experts. Because your claim is for compensation for injuries you suffered, you will most likely need a medical expert who can discuss the seriousness of your injuries, the treatments that you need, and your final prognosis.
  • Vocational experts. If you must make a career change or are permanently disabled due to your injuries, a vocational expert can explain how your injuries limit your ability to work. You may also need an economic expert to calculate your lost earning capacity, which is the amount of money and other benefits you will lose during your lifetime if you can no longer work.

An experienced premises liability attorney can help you determine what, if any, experts you need, and will have a network of qualified individuals that you can retain.

If you or a family member were injured in a premises liability case, it is important to retain a skilled lawyer as soon as possible. To schedule a free consultation to learn about our experience in these cases and your legal options, call our Norfolk office today.