How to Prepare for Your Initial Appointment and What You Can Expect
An initial consultation would be your first meeting with a lawyer. There are a number of goals to accomplish at your appointment.
What Is the Purpose of an Initial Consultation?
- Determine if you have a claim against the negligent trucker and trucking company
- Get your questions answered
- Find out if the attorney has extensive experience handling truck collisions cases and whether they are the right lawyer for you
- How much they charge for their services
You should schedule a free initial case evaluation with the top two or three lawyers you are considering hiring. Your first appointment will typically be for 30 minutes to an hour. The time will go fast, so it is important to come to your meeting as prepared as possible.
How to Prepare for the First Appointment
- Collect the documents, such as the police report, your auto insurance policy, and medical bills. You should also collect photos of the crash scene and the truck driver, trucking company, and witness contact information.
- Prepare a list of questions to ask the attorney about their experience settling and litigating truck accident cases and what you can expect them to do for you if you retain them.
If you have never filed a personal injury claim before, you probably do not know what will happen at your initial free consultation.
What You Should Expect at Your Free Initial Meeting
- Details of your crash. The lawyer will want you to explain the details of how your truck wreck occurred and will briefly review the documents you bring to your appointment.
- Advice on your claim. Once the attorney obtains information about your truck crash, they will give you general advice on whether you have a claim and what you can expect to happen after you file it.
- Explanation of attorney fees. The lawyer should also explain how they would charge their attorney fees and costs if you decide to retain them. At Tavss Fletcher, we handle truck accident claims on a contingency fee basis, which means that you would not owe us any attorney fees until we settle your case.
- Interview of the lawyer. At the beginning of your appointment, you should tell the attorney that you have prepared questions for them to answer. It is important that you interview them because this will help you determine if you can trust them to look out for your best interests if you hire them.
Do you need to file an insurance claim for injuries you suffered in a truck accident in the Virginia Beach or Norfolk area? Fill out our online form or call our Norfolk office at 877-960-3441 to schedule a free initial consultation today to learn about our track record of success helping other truck collision victims and how we can assist you.