Benefits of Retaining a Lawyer Before Filing Your Norfolk Premises Liability Claim
When you contact a skilled premises liability attorney, they should have your best interests at heart when advising you. The same is not true for the negligent business or property owner’s insurance company. Their goal is most likely to deny your claim or try to force you to accept less compensation than you deserve. Here are other benefits of hiring an attorney first:
- Evaluate your claim. Your lawyer would evaluate the facts surrounding your premises liability accident and the evidence you have collected. They would then advise you whether or not you have a valid case against the business or property owner.
- Value your claim. Your attorney can give you a general idea of how much you can expect to receive in your settlement with the insurance company. Remember that their valuation of your case may change after they thoroughly investigate the cause of your accident and the seriousness of your injuries.
- Give you advice. A lawyer can advise you what to expect when they file your claim and negotiate your settlement. They can also tell you ways that you can strengthen your case, like staying off social media and following your doctor’s treatment plan.
- Avoid mistakes. You could make mistakes that might weaken your premises liability case if you contact the insurance company before speaking to a lawyer, such as making incriminating statements that they can use against you or agreeing to give a recorded statement.
- Weigh a settlement offer. You should never accept a settlement offer from the insurance company without first consulting with an attorney. They can advise you if the offer is fair and can go up against the insurance company if they are trying to get you to accept less compensation than you deserve under Virginia law.