If you were injured in a slip and fall or other premises liability accident, you may consider filing a claim with the negligent property owner’s or business’ insurance company. It is important to understand how much your claim is worth. This helps you know whether it is worth your time and energy to pursue your right to compensation and whether you are getting a fair settlement from the insurance company.
Types of Compensation You Can Receive in a Premises Liability Settlement
Part of the determination of how much your claim is worth is based on the amount of compensation you are entitled to under Virginia law. The negligent party is responsible for paying you for your past and future damages. Types of compensation awarded in these cases include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages and lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death damages if a family member died
Factors That Affect the Value of Your Claim
Most premises liability cases are settled either before or during litigation. However, not all victims receive the maximum amount in their settlement. Certain factors can make your case stronger or weaker and increase or decrease the value of your claim. Some of these factors include:
- Negligence. You must prove that the negligence of the business or property owner caused your accident and injuries in order to be entitled to compensation from them. If you have strong evidence that proves this, the strength of your claim and its value will be greater.
- Your fault. If there are legitimate disputes about whether you were partially to blame for causing your accident, this could significantly weaken your case. Virginia follows a very harsh contributory negligence law that prevents you from receiving any damages if you were even one percent negligent.
- Seriousness of your injuries. If you suffered serious injuries that require expensive medical treatments and that cause long-term or permanent limitations in your ability to work and the quality of your life, the value of your claim will be greater.
Let Us Help You Determine How Much Your Claim is Worth
You need the help of a skilled premises liability lawyer who has a track record of success in settling and litigating premises liability cases to accurately determine how much you should receive in your settlement. To learn about our extensive experience in these cases and how we can assist you, call our office to schedule a free case evaluation today.