One common cause of motorcycle accidents is a negligent driver turning left directly in the path of a motorcycle rider who has the right-of-way. The consequences can be catastrophic for the motorcyclist who only has his clothes and helmet to protect him from a much larger and heavier motor vehicle or truck. If you suffered injuries in a left-turn motorcycle crash, our skilled legal team is here to advise you on your legal options and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Top Reasons That Motorists Cause Left-Turn Wrecks
Motorcycles are much smaller and less visible than autos and trucks. When drivers are not attentive to their driving and others on the road, they can fail to see a motorcycle before it is too late to avoid a wreck. Here are the leading causes of these tragic accidents:
- Trying to beat a yellow or red light
- Failing to yield the right-of-way
- Distracted driving, such as texting, talking on a cell phone, eating or drinking, or looking at a GPS
- Passing another vehicle
How to Protect Your Right to Compensation for Your Injuries
You are entitled to compensation for your past and future medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering from the negligent driver under Virginia law. However, you must take immediate steps to prove his fault in causing the crash and to protect your legal rights. Here are seven important steps you should consider:
- Obtain prompt medical care and follow your doctor’s advice—even if you do not believe that you were hurt or that your injuries are serious.
- Get the contact information for the negligent driver and his insurance company so that you can file a claim for compensation.
- Contact the police and obtain a copy of the police report. It will provide valuable information, such as a narration of how the crash occurred, driver and witness statements, and the officer’s conclusions as to who was at fault.
- Obtain contact information for eyewitnesses who can corroborate the other motorist’s negligence.
- Take pictures of the crash scene, damage to the vehicle and your motorcycle, and your injuries.
- Preserve your motorcycle, helmet, and clothes in the same condition as they were in after your wreck.
- Retain an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible. He can investigate the cause of your crash, collect the evidence you need to prove the other driver’s negligence, and negotiate your settlement so that you receive all that you deserve.
Were you injured in a left-turn or other type of motorcycle accident in Norfolk? Call our office or fill out our convenient online form to schedule a free consultation to learn about our track record of success in these cases and how we can assist you.