If you were injured in a car accident in Norfolk that was caused by a negligent driver, you are entitled to be compensated for your past and future medical expenses, wage losses, and pain and suffering. It can be complicated to determine the medical treatments you will need in the future and how much they will cost if you suffered a long-term injury. However, it is crucial to include these amounts in your settlement with the negligent driver’s insurance company because you cannot reopen your claim once you settle it.
Future Medical Expenses You Can Recover
In Virginia, there is no maximum amount that you can recover for your medical care. Future expenses that you are entitled to and should be sure are included in your settlement include:
- Hospital bills
- Doctor visits
- Diagnostic tests
- Physical therapy and other rehabilitation costs
- Medical equipment and assistive aids
- Modifications to your home
How to Prove Your Right to Future Medical Expenses
It can be complicated to determine what medical care you will need and how much it will cost in the years after you settle your claim. However, you must prove your need for future medical care and its cost if you want to receive monetary compensation for these expenses. Here are tips on how to prove you deserve this type of damages:
- Your maximum medical improvement. Your maximum medical improvement is the stage of your medical treatment where you have made a full recovery, or you have recovered as much as you can and your doctor can provide you with a final prognosis. You cannot know what your future medical treatments and expenses will be until you arrive at this stage in your medical recovery.
- Expert witnesses. You may need the help of expert witnesses, such as a physician and economic expert, who can determine the future medical care you will need and its cost.
- Attorney. An experienced car accident lawyer can help calculate the amount you are owed for future medical, lost wages, and pain and suffering, and fight with the insurance company to ensure that you receive all that you deserve.
At Tavss Fletcher, our skilled and dedicated car accident legal team understand the importance of determining all of your future medical expenses so that you can obtain the medical care you may need throughout your life and can put your life back together again. To learn how we have helped other car accident victims like you and about your legal options, call our Norfolk office to schedule a free case evaluation today.