Filing a Claim for the Damage to Your Vehicle With the Negligent Driver’s Insurance Company After a Car Accident

Damaged Front End of a Car After a CollisionIf you were injured in an auto collision caused by a negligent driver, you may need to file two claims with their insurance company. One would be a personal injury claim for compensation for your injuries. Your second claim would be for the property damage to your car and any property in it.

How to File a Property Damage Claim With the Insurance Company

A claim for the property damage you suffered may be handled by a different claims adjuster than the one settling your injury claim. It can be much easier to settle a property damage claim, and the process could be completed relatively quickly. Here are the steps involved in the process:

  • Get estimates. You would need to obtain an estimate of the cost to repair your auto and damaged property or to replace them if the costs of the repairs exceed the property’s value. Obtaining at least two estimates to submit to the insurance adjuster could make it easier to settle your claim.
  • Inspection by the insurance company. The insurance company may want to inspect the damage to your vehicle before settling your property damage claim. They have a right to request an inspection. However, they must schedule a time that is convenient for you if you want to be present and that does not require you to travel a far distance.
  • Negotiation. The next step in the process would be to negotiate a settlement with the insurance adjuster. It may be more complicated than you think to resolve your property damage claim if your vehicle needs expensive repairs or must be replaced. It is best to let an experienced car accident lawyer that you hire handle your injury claim negotiate your settlement with the insurance company.
  • Release. The insurance company may require you to sign a release of your property damage claim before paying you. It is crucial to have the document reviewed by an attorney before you sign it to ensure that you are not waiving your right to pursue compensation for your injuries.

Contact a Norfolk Car Accident Lawyer Today

Were you involved in a car accident that was not your fault in the Virginia Beach or Norfolk area? We’re here to help you settle your property damage and personal injury claims with the negligent driver’s insurance company so that you receive the maximum recovery in your settlement. Call our Norfolk office or fill out our online form to schedule a free initial consultation to get your questions answered and learn how we can assist you.


Post A Comment