Left turns at busy intersections can be challenging for even a skilled driver, and many quick decisions must be made before proceeding. Unfortunately, inexperienced and negligent drivers fail to correctly navigate a left turn and cause motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists to suffer serious injuries or death. If you or a loved one were injured in a left turn collision, our experienced car accident attorneys at Tavss Fletcher are here to fight for the compensation that you deserve.
Why Do Negligent Drivers Cause Left Turn Car Accidents?
In Norfolk and throughout Virginia, a driver who is making a left turn has the right-of-way at an intersection when proceeding on a left-turn green arrow. Otherwise, he must yield the right-of-way to oncoming traffic and can only turn left when there is no oncoming traffic, or it is far enough away that he can safely make a turn. Drivers must also yield to pedestrians and bike riders in the intersection and follow these basic safety precautions when turning left onto a street or into a parking lot. Some of the major causes of these crashes include:
- Having an obstructed view when turning
- Driving into blind spots—also referred to as inadequate surveillance
- Misjudging the speed of an oncoming vehicle or the gap in traffic
- Failing to yield the right-of-way
- Failing to use turn signals properly
- Distracted driving
Is the Driver Turning Left Always at Fault?
In most cases, the driver turning left will be presumed to be at fault in causing the car accident. However, there are exceptions when this is not the case:
- The driver proceeding through the intersection was exceeding the speed limit.
- The other driver drove through a yellow or red light.
- The other driver was intoxicated due to alcohol or drug use.
- The other driver was engaged in distracted driving, such as texting or talking on a cell phone.
- It was safe to proceed when the driver began his left turn, but he was required to slow down, stop, or swerve due to an unexpected circumstance.
Contact Our Norfolk Office Today
If you were injured in a left turn or another type of car accident, our skilled lawyers are here to help you hold the negligent driver accountable. We will guide you through the process of filing your claim and aggressively fight for the compensation that you deserve. Call our office today to schedule your free initial consultation with one of our experienced car accident attorneys.