If you were injured in an auto crash caused by another driver, you hopefully did your research and hired an experienced car accident attorney to file your claim for compensation. However, if you are like most people, you may not have ever needed to retain a lawyer or have only done so infrequently. It can be confusing to know what you can realistically expect from your lawyer.
What You Can Expect From Your Car Accident Lawyer
It is important to know what you can expect from your attorney so that you are certain that he that he is doing a good job in handling your case and looking out for your best interests. Here are some guidelines on what an experienced lawyer will do for you:
- Communication. Your attorney should communicate regularly with you regarding the progress he is making in your case. He should also be available to answer your questions and respond to your emails or return your calls within a reasonable amount of time.
- Investigation. Your lawyer should conduct a thorough investigation into the cause of your car accident and collect the evidence that you will need to prove the other driver’s negligence in causing it.
- Experts. An experienced lawyer will have a network of qualified experts, such as accident reconstruction experts, economic experts, and medical experts that you can retain if they are needed to resolve disputes with the insurance company.
- Negotiations. Your attorney should take over all communications with the insurance company and should aggressively fight with them for the compensation that you deserve.
- Decisions. You should be involved in making important decisions regarding your case, such as whether or not to retain an expert, whether you should file a lawsuit, and whether you should accept a settlement offer from the insurance company.
- Litigation. If the insurance company will not make a reasonable settlement offer, your attorney should file a lawsuit on your behalf and thoroughly prepare your case for trial. While it is likely that your case will settle at some point in the litigation process, he should not be afraid to take your case to a jury trial if this is in your best interests.
At Tavss Fletcher, we have decades of experience helping accident victims receive the compensation that they deserved. To learn how we can assist you, call our office to schedule a free consultation with our skilled car accident lawyers.