Options for Compensation for Your Injuries in a Hit and Run Collision

Hanging Hit and Run SignIf you are injured in a hit and run accident, you could suffer the same serious injuries that other car accident victims suffer from. However, your claim for compensation can be much more complicated when the driver flees the scene.

Where Can You Seek Compensation for Your Injuries in a Hit and Run Accident?

You should call the police at the scene of a hit and run accident and obtain a copy of the police report. You will need it when filing a claim for compensation for your injuries. You also want to take pictures of the damage to your vehicle, the crash scene, and your injuries. If possible, you should obtain contact information for any witnesses. This may help you locate the driver who caused your accident and can be used to prove his negligence.

The sources of compensation for your injuries will depend on whether you identify the hit and run driver. It is important to keep in mind that you can receive damages even if you cannot locate him. Here are some options:

  • Negligent driver. If you locate the hit and run driver, you can file a claim with his insurance company—if he has insurance—or seek compensation directly from him if not. The police may try to locate him, especially if you suffered injuries. Your pictures, surveillance tapes, and witness statements can help them in their investigation. In addition, an experienced car accident attorney in Norfolk may be able to use this information to help you find him.
  • Restitution. It is a crime in Virginia to flee the scene of an injury accident. If the driver is prosecuted, you can ask for restitution for your injuries to be part of his sentence.
  • Your own insurance company. If you are unable to find the negligent motorist, filing a claim with your own insurance company may be your only option. In Virginia, you are required to have $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident for personal injuries and $20,000 for property damage in uninsured motorist coverage. You may have purchased underinsured motorist coverage to protect you if the other driver did not have sufficient insurance and Med-Pay to pay your medical bills no matter who was at fault.

Contact Us for Help Filing Your Hit and Run Accident Claim

If you or a family member were hurt in a hit and run collision in Norfolk, our experienced car accident attorneys may be able to help you locate the negligent driver and pursue all your avenues of compensation. Even if your only claim is with your own insurance company, you need a skilled lawyer to negotiate your settlement to ensure that you are fully compensated. To schedule your free consultation, call our office or fill out our online form.