Common Premises Liability Accidents Causing Death
Many types of premises liability accidents can result in the tragic death of a victim. They include:
- Slip and fall accidents. Wet floors, defective flooring, icy sidewalks, and cracks and potholes in parking lots can cause a victim to slip and fall. Unfortunately, they may not be able to survive if they suffer a life-threatening injury, such as a traumatic brain injury.
- Dog bite. Victims can be killed if a dog bites and mauls them and causes organ damage, head injuries, or other severe injuries.
- Inadequate lighting. If a property or business owner fails to provide adequate lighting or does not repair broken lighting, a victim may not see a danger that causes a fatal premises liability accident.
- Drownings. Death is the likely consequence of a drowning when owners fail to maintain a swimming pool, do not repair defective drains, fail to provide trained lifeguards, and engage in other negligent actions.
- Inadequate security. A victim can be killed in a criminal attack if a property or business owner breaches their duty to provide adequate security to their guests.
- Broken stairs and handrails. When stairs and handrails are not repaired and maintained safely, a victim could fall down the stairs and suffer catastrophic injuries.
Your Rights if a Family Member Suffered a Fatal Injury in a Premises Liability Accident
If a loved one died in a premises liability accident, you may have a right to file a wrongful death action against the negligent property or business owner under Virginia law. If you can prove the owner’s negligence caused their death, you may be entitled to compensation for your loss. While this will not bring back your family member, it can give you a sense of closure and help you go on with your life. Types of compensation you may be able to recover include:
- Reasonable funeral and burial costs
- Reimbursement of your loved one’s medical expenses before their death
- Damages for the pain and suffering your family member suffered
- Loss of your loved one’s care, companionship, and advice
- Loss of the value of your family member’s lost wages throughout their working career if they had survived the accident
Was a family member killed in a premises liability accident in Virginia Beach or Norfolk? Our compassionate and skilled premises liability lawyers are here to explain your rights and fight for the compensation you deserve from the negligent property or business owner. Call our Norfolk office at 877-960-3441 or complete our convenient online form to schedule your free, no-obligation initial consultation today to learn more about how we can assist you.