Large Portion of Hit and Run Victims Are Pedestrians
According to Peter Kissinger, President and CEO of the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, pedestrians make up the vast majority of hit and run accident victims.
"About 60 percent of the people killed in hit and run crashes are pedestrians," said Kissinger. "1 in 5 pedestrian fatalities involve hit and run drivers."
Overall, only 11% of traffic accidents involve a hit and run. If this is the case, why are pedestrians so much more likely to be hit by a driver who flees the scene?
Safety experts believe that, due to the nature of the accident, drivers are more likely to panic when they hit a person on foot as opposed to hitting another vehicle. These accidents, especially when they occur at a high rate of speed, are exceedingly injurious. This can lead the driver to assume that the person has died. These drivers may then panic and speed away from the accident.
How Runners, Walkers and Joggers in Virginia Can Avoid Being Hit
While even the most safety conscious runner can be hit by a car, there are steps you can take to lessen your chances. The AAA Foundation believes that the advice listed below will help pedestrians in Virginia and across the nation to avoid being involved in an accident:
- Pay attention to traffic signals and obey them
- Look Left-Right-Left before crossing a street - even if you are in a crosswalk
- Watch for vehicles turning onto the road when crossing
- Take note of each and every car as they approach and pass you
- Don't assume that a driver sees you just because you have seen them
- If there is no sidewalk available, stay as far away from the road as possible
- When out at night or in the early morning, wear reflective gear and light-colored clothing
- Review the above safety procedures with your children often and stress the importance of never running into any road, no matter what
The Virginia accident attorneys at the Norfolk accident law firm of Tavss Fletcher hope that the information in this article can help you avoid an accident. If, despite your best intentions, you are involved in a Virginia pedestrian accident with a driver, be it a hit and run crash or not, please contact our attorneys for your free consultation. Helping accident victims like you is what we have dedicated our lives to do. You deserve the best. Call 1.757.625.1214 today.