You could suffer serious injuries in an auto collision caused by a negligent driver in Virginia, such as a traumatic brain injury, neck injury, or spinal injury that causes pain and limits your movements. Physical therapy could be an important part of your medical treatment that can help you recover. You should retain an experienced car accident lawyer who can advise you on who is liable to pay your physical therapy bills and can go up against the at-fault driver’s insurance company for the compensation you deserve, including your physical therapy expenses.
How Can Physical Therapy Help Car Accident Victims Recover?
Physical therapy is a non-evasive medical treatment that can help auto crash victims strengthen injured body parts, increase movement functions, and improve mobility. Manual therapy, custom exercises, and postural training are some techniques a physical therapist may use that can help treat many car collision injuries, such as:
- Whiplash and other neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Knee injuries
- Spinal injuries
- Pelvic and hip injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
Who Is Responsible for Paying for Physical Therapy Cost After an Auto Collision?
If a negligent driver caused your car accident, they are responsible for paying for the cost of your physical therapy. You would have to file a claim with the insurance company and document the need for physical therapy and its costs. Here are steps you can take to prove this part of your claim:
- Obtain a referral for physical therapy from your physician, and keep a copy of the referral to provide to the insurance company. Ask your doctor to document the need for physical therapy in your medical records.
- Keep good records of your physical therapy appointments, and save your bills for these sessions.
- Attend all scheduled physical therapy appointments.
- Follow your physical therapist’s treatment plan, and do the exercises they recommend at home.