If you were injured in a truck accident while in Virginia on vacation, for business, or while visiting friends or family, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries under Virginia law. You are much more likely to be fully compensated if you hire a lawyer to negotiate your settlement with the insurance company for the negligent trucker and trucking company.
However, you need to decide whether to retain an attorney in your home state or Virginia. Here’s why it would be best to select an attorney in the state where your collision occurred.
Five Reasons to Select a Lawyer in Virginia
There is no law in Virginia that would prohibit a lawyer in your home state from filing your claim and negotiating your settlement. While it may feel more convenient to have your attorney nearby, it really is not the best option. Here are reasons you need an experienced truck accident lawyer who practices where your truck collision occurred:
- Investigation of your collision. A local attorney will be able to conduct a more thorough investigation into the cause of your truck crash and can visit the scene of the wreck if they believe this would be helpful.
- Experts. You may need to hire expert witnesses to help resolve complicated disputes with the insurance company. A local lawyer would have a network of qualified experts who could help you and who would be able to testify in court if this becomes necessary.
- Understanding of law and court rules. A local attorney will have a better understanding of Virginia negligence laws that apply to your case. They will also know the court rules and procedures that must be followed if you must file a lawsuit.
- License to practice law. An attorney must be licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Virginia in order to file a lawsuit on your behalf. Even if you live in a nearby state and your lawyer is allowed to litigate cases here, they would not be as familiar with local court rules and procedures as an in-state attorney. In addition, they would not have the same relationship with court personnel and local lawyers representing the defendants that could make your case go more smoothly.
- Consistency of representation. It is always better to have the same attorney who filed your insurance claim represent you if you must take your case to court. They will start developing their litigation strategy while trying to negotiate a settlement and will be collecting the evidence you will need to win your case.
Contact a Truck Accident Lawyer in Norfolk Today
If you were hurt in a truck accident while visiting the Virginia Beach or Norfolk area, our knowledgeable truck accident legal team is here to fight for the compensation you deserve. We will make the process easier for you by handling much of the communications through video conferencing, telephone calls, correspondence, and emails so that you do not have to travel back to Virginia. To learn more about how we can assist you, call our Norfolk office to schedule your free consultation today.