If you were injured in an auto collision caused by a negligent driver, you have the right to represent yourself when filing your claim with their insurance company. However, this does not mean it is a good idea. You will almost certainly obtain far less compensation if you do not retain an experienced car accident lawyer to negotiate your settlement.
Five Reasons You Should Not Represent Yourself
You would run the risk of making a mistake that weakens your case or being taken advantage of by the insurance adjuster if an attorney does not represent you. Here are five reasons you should not handle your own case:
- Evidence. You will not understand the evidence you need to prove the other driver’s negligence, the seriousness of your injuries, and the damages you should recover. You must prove all these elements of your case if you want the insurance company to agree to a fair settlement of your claim.
- Value of your claim. You do not have the experience to determine the amount of compensation you deserve from the negligent driver. You need the help of a lawyer who has a track record of success in settling and trying car accident cases to determine the amount of past and future medical expenses, lost wages and lost earning capacity damages, and pain and suffering you should receive.
- Negotiations. It takes skill to negotiate a settlement with the insurance company because their goal is to deny your claim or pay you less money than you deserve. You would not be able to anticipate the arguments they will make or have strategies to refute them. However, an attorney will know how to effectively handle disputes with the insurance adjuster.
- Deadlines. You must file your lawsuit within the statute of limitations, which is the deadline you have to sue, and comply with other deadlines in your case. You could be precluded from obtaining any compensation if you miss a crucial deadline.
- Litigation. If the insurance company refuses to offer you a fair settlement, you will need to litigate your claim. You would be at a serious disadvantage if you tried to represent yourself in your lawsuit. You need the help of a lawyer licensed in Virginia who is not afraid to take your case to a jury trial if this is in your best interests.
Were you or a loved one injured in a car accident in the Norfolk or Virginia Beach area? Our dedicated car accident legal team is here to answer your questions and go up against the insurance company for the compensation you deserve. Call our office or fill out our online form to schedule a free consultation to learn more about how we can assist you.