Do I have a claim against the negligent driver if I was driving a leased vehicle at the time of my car accident?

More people are choosing to lease their autos rather than purchasing them due to the high purchase price for many vehicles. If you were injured in a car accident while driving a leased motor vehicle, you still have a right to compensation for your injuries. However, there are some unique considerations you need to know about when pursuing your claim.

First Steps You Should Take After an Auto Collision

Man Pressing a Leasing ButtonYou need to take immediate steps to protect your health and your legal rights after your accident. The initial steps you need to take are the same whether you lease or own your car. Here are some crucial steps to take at the crash scene:

  1. Get prompt medical care—even if you do not believe you were hurt.
  2. Call the police immediately and obtain a copy of the police report.
  3. Exchange contact information with the other driver.
  4. Talk to witnesses who saw the accident occur and obtain their contact information so you can get their written statement.
  5. Take photos and video of the damage to both vehicles, road and weather conditions, your injuries, and anything else you believe would be helpful.

Who Must You Notify of Your Accident?

Under your lease agreement, you are most likely required to maintain an auto insurance policy on the leased vehicle. Your contract will also have a provision requiring you to notify the dealer and leasing company of any accident. They may have specific rules that must be followed when repairing your leased vehicle.

You also have a duty to contact your insurance company immediately after the collision under your auto insurance policy. Be sure they know any requirements of the leasing company concerning the repairs to your vehicle.

How to Pursue an Injury Claim

If the other driver’s negligence was the cause of your accident, you have the same right to compensation for your injuries as if you were driving a vehicle you owned. You would need to contact the at-fault motorist’s insurance company to notify them of the crash and to file a claim for the damages you are seeking. If you want to win your case, you should retain an experienced car accident attorney to file it for you and negotiate your settlement with the insurance adjuster.

Were you or a family member injured in a car accident that was not your fault in Norfolk or Virginia Beach? Fill out our convenient online form to schedule a free consultation to get your questions answered and learn how our skilled legal team can help you.