After a car accident, going head to head with an insurance company by yourself is risky. Especially in Virginia—a state operating under a pure contributory negligence rule—handling your own car accident case can be risky. If you’ve been in a minor or serious car accident, it’s important you understand when you should hire an attorney and why a lawyer may be crucial to the success of your case.
When to Hire an Attorney
It is prudent to hire a lawyer even for a car accident involving minor injuries. And you should do this as soon as you can after your accident occurs. However, hiring an attorney is especially important if you:
- Suffered serious injuries. Determining the severity of an injury depends on the type of injury, how much it costs, and how much time you will need to recover.
- Have growing medical bills. If you’ve suffered serious injuries and have stayed committed to your recovery by obeying your doctor’s orders, taking prescriptions, and attending follow-up appointments, you likely have accumulating medical bills. Additionally, if you’ve sustained a long-term or permanent injury, you face even more medical bills.
- Experienced lost wages. Depending on the severity of your injury, it’s possible you had to miss work as a result of the accident—which means you’ve taken a hit to your regular income.
- Admitted fault at the accident scene. Even if your admittance of fault was unintentional—perhaps, out of habit, you let an “I’m so sorry” slip out—it could affect the outcome of your case.
- May be negligent. If someone accused you of being partially negligent in the accident, it is a serious matter an attorney should handle.
What an Attorney Does for You
Though you may be concerned about the cost of an attorney or the time it may take to go through a lawsuit, it’s important that you prioritize the outcome of your case. To give you a chance at success and a fair recovery, an attorney accomplishes many tasks, including:
- Advocating for you
- Gathering evidence
- Building a strong argument in your favor
- Building a strong defense for you
- Explaining and navigating complicated laws
- Negotiating a fair settlement or fighting for you in court
When You Need an Attorney, We’re Here
Legal matters and insurance policies can frustrate you after an accident—when you should actually be focusing on your recovery. The team at Tavss Fletcher offers client-centered legal services, and we want to hear about your case. Give us a toll-free call today: 877.960.3441.