Some injuries caused by a car collision can be long-term and change a victim’s life forever. If you suffered a disfiguring injury, they will be a constant reminder of the trauma you experienced in your crash. In addition, you could need medical treatments for the rest of your life.
Fortunately, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries from the negligent driver and their insurance company. It is important to understand what kinds of expenses you will incur due to your injuries and the types of damages you can recover so that you receive all that you deserve in your settlement.
Disfiguring Injuries Caused in Auto Collisions
Disfiguring injuries can cause scarring, physical limitations, and emotional trauma. A victim can suffer these injuries on any part of their body. However, disfigurement that is visible, such as on the face and neck, can be especially traumatic to have to live with it. Common disfiguring injuries include:
- Broken jaws, noses, and facial fractures
- Deep lacerations
- Serious injuries to the ligaments, muscles, and tendons
- Surgical procedures to treat injuries, such as organ damage
Types of Damages You Can Recover If You Suffered a Disfiguring Injury
In Virginia, you are entitled to both past and future compensation if you suffered a long-term injury, such as a disfigurement. Types of damages you may need to recover in your settlement with the insurance company include:
- Medical expenses. You are entitled to be reimbursed for all necessary medical treatments to treat your injuries. They can include emergency room visits, cosmetic and other surgeries, hospitalizations, doctor visits, physical therapy, medications, prosthetics, mental health counseling, and more.
- Lost wages. The insurance company should also pay you for the lost wages and other benefits that you lost while you were off work recovering from your injuries. If you must make a career change or become permanently disabled, you could also be entitled to future lost earning capacity damages.
- Pain and suffering. You can suffer physical pain and emotional trauma from coping with a disfiguring injury. You may suffer from anxiety, depression, PTSD, or other mental health conditions due to your injuries. You should be fully compensated for your emotional distress and pain and suffering in your settlement.
Consult With a Norfolk Car Accident Attorney Today
Did you or a loved one suffer a disfiguring injury in an auto collision? The negligent driver’s insurance company may fight longer and harder to deny your claim or pay you less than you deserve because of the higher value of your claim. You need the help of an experienced car accident lawyer who understands their tactics and has strategies to defeat them. To find out how we can assist you, call our Norfolk office to schedule your free consultation today.