Accidents with large semis can prove more dangerous and deadlier than accidents with smaller types of motorized vehicles. This is mainly due to the sheer size and weight of tractor-trailers. That is why all motorists should be aware of the common causes of Virginia Beach truck accidents.
A Look at the Common Causes of Truck Accidents
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) released a study in 2007 that looked at the common causes of truck accidents. Researchers examined 967 crashes involving large trucks and determined the following as common causes:
- Drugs. The group determined that prescription drugs or illicit drugs affected the reaction times of truckers and was a factor in 26 percent of all collisions.
- Speed. Research suggests that the force of impact from an 80,000-pound truck intensifies dramatically with each mile of increased speed. Speed factored into 23 percent of truck accidents.
- Fatigue. Many truckers feel extreme pressure from their employers to press their physical limits. Driver fatigue played a role in 13 percent of truck crashes.
- Unfamiliarity of road conditions. Many truckers are driving roads with which they are unfamiliar. FMSCA found that 22 percent of truck accidents involved truckers on roads they didn’t know. Never assume the trucker next to you has been on that road before and knows the severity of the next turn.
- Distracted driving. The study concluded that driving distractions were present in eight percent of accidents. However, distractions involved more than texting, talking on the phone, and adjusting radio dials. Roadwork and other accidents played a major role.
- Illegal maneuvers. Similar to drivers of cars, truckers are responsible for obeying all traffic laws and avoiding erratic driving behaviors. Truckers failing to use their turn signals and making sudden lane changes cause many truck accidents. You should exercise extreme caution when passing any vehicle, especially large trucks.
Never Make Any Assumptions
Many accidents are the direct result of other motorists assuming that the truckers they share the Virginia roadways with are competent and in complete control of their large vehicle. This assumption can prove deadly. Never assume anything.
Our Team Will Fight Hard for You
A truck accident can result in serious consequences. That is why you should call an experienced truck accident attorney who can deal with the insurance company, trucking company, and the other driver. At Tavss Fletcher, our team has that experience and will fight hard to get you the compensation you deserve.
If you have been injured in a truck accident, call a Virginia Beach truck accident attorney at Tavss Fletcher at (757) 625-1214. Let us help you navigate through the complex process of recovering for your damages. Call our team today.