Though truck drivers are specifically trained to handle the large vehicles they operate, not all Virginia Beach truck accidents can be avoided. Many of these accidents occur because other drivers with whom truckers share the roadways do not know how to properly share the roads with their large vehicles.
Five Safety Tips
When sharing the roads with tractor-trailers, you should take extra precautions. Here are five safety tips you can follow to help avoid an accident with a large truck:
- Avoid passing on the right. Most trucks have large blind spots on the right side. This makes it difficult for truckers to see other vehicles passing on the right, especially when the trucker is changing lanes or making a right turn. You should only pass a semi on the left.
- Never tailgate. The sheer size of a truck makes it difficult to see road hazards ahead of it. You cannot always anticipate when a trucker is going to slow down or stop suddenly. Following too closely increases your risks of slamming into the rear of a truck. Make sure to allow plenty of distance between your vehicle and any truck you are following.
- Avoid driving in front of a truck. Trucks require more time and distance to come to a complete stop. Just because you can stop in time doesn’t mean the truck behind you can. Driving in front of a truck can result in your vehicle being slammed from behind.
- Drive slowly in work zones. According to Road Safe America (RSA), nearly one-third of all fatal work zone crashes involve large trucks. Take your time when driving through work zones, and always expect the unexpected.
- Never cut off a truck. Never cut off a truck to reach your turn or exit. This can result in a trucker losing control of his tractor-trailer and causing a serious accident. There is nothing wrong with driving to the next turn or exit.
If You Have Been Injured in a Truck Accident
You have a responsibility to improve highway safety. Unfortunately, you cannot always control the driving habits of truckers with whom you share the Virginia roadways. Their negligence can result in you or someone you love being seriously injured.
If you have been injured in an accident with a tractor-trailer, you should call a Virginia Beach truck accident attorney at Tavss Fletcher at (757) 625-1214. We can help you start building your accident injury case today. We will fight hard to protect your compensation rights.