If you are facing any criminal charges in Virginia, you need to hire an experienced criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible. Having a qualified attorney can have a huge impact on the outcome of your criminal case. Here, we share tips on how to find one that is right for you.
Follow These Tips to Select a Skilled Criminal Defense Lawyer
It can be a problem if you do not know any criminal defense attorneys. However, you can obtain the names of potential candidates from an attorney you have used in the past, family or friends, bar referral service, or an internet search. Here are some tips that can help you choose an attorney you can trust:
- Experience. You should look for an attorney who has extensive experience handling criminal cases, including cases where people has with your offense. It is also crucial that he has trial experience in case you decide to take your case to trial.
- Track record of success. You want to select an attorney who has a track record of success in entering into favorable plea agreements and obtaining favorable jury verdicts.
- Online reviews. Read reviews of potential attorneys on their websites and the internet. You also should check with the state bar association to be certain that no disciplinary actions have been taken against the lawyer.
- Communication. You need an attorney who can explain your options and what is happening in your criminal case in a way that you can understand. He also needs to be available when you have questions. Look for an attorney who communicates well with you and will be there when you need him.
- Meeting with an attorney. Take advantage of the offer of a free consultation that many lawyers offer to interview your top choices. This will give you an opportunity to find out about his experience, how you relate, and how he would defend you.
If you are facing criminal charges in Norfolk, we’re here to help you build a strong defense strategy so that the charges are dismissed or reduced to a less serious offense. Schedule a free consultation with a member of our criminal defense legal team by calling our Norfolk office or filling out our convenient online form.