However, you can successfully fight them and obtain the compensation you deserve under Virginia law. How do you do this? You must understand the insurance company’s tactics and take steps to protect your rights and strengthen your case.
Tactics the Insurance Company May Employ Against You
You first need to understand that you are dealing with a skilled insurance company that has negotiated thousands of truck crash settlements. Although the insurance adjuster may appear friendly and concerned, they are not your friend. Their goal is to deny, delay, and reduce your claim. Here are the tactics they may use when you file your claim:
- Poor communication. The insurance adjuster may take a long time to communicate with you and request documents they do not need or ask for them in a piecemeal fashion. They aim to wear you down so that you accept less damages than you are entitled to or stop pursuing your claim.
- Lowball settlement offer. If the insurance company offers you a settlement soon after you file your claim, you should realize it is a lowball offer. They hope that you are desperate enough to want to settle your claim before you consult with a lawyer.
- Disputes. The insurance company could also raise disputes about the trucking company and truck driver’s negligence in causing the collision, the seriousness of your injuries, and the compensation you are claiming. Their goal is to deny your claim or convince you to accept less damages in your settlement.
- Recorded statement. The adjuster may ask to you to give a recorded statement. It is a question-and-answer session with the insurance adjuster that is tape-recorded and transcribed into a written document. The adjuster could ask you tricky or confusing questions in the hopes that you will say something that hurts your case that they can use against you in settlement negotiations.
Tips on How to Fight Back Against the Insurance Company’s Tactics
Fortunately, you can battle the insurance company successfully and win your case. Here are the steps you should take:
- Do not negotiate on your own. You do not have the skills to settle your claim with a much more experienced insurance company.
- Do not sign any documents or agree to settle your claim without first consulting with a lawyer.
- Do not agree to give a recorded statement. You do not have to provide one to settle your claim. No matter how careful you are, you could weaken your claim.
- Retain a knowledgeable truck accident attorney as soon as possible to take over communications with the insurance company and negotiate your settlement.
Were you injured in a truck collision in Virginia Beach or Norfolk caused by a negligent trucker? Our experienced truck accident attorneys have strategies to defeat the insurance company’s tactics to deny your claim or try to pay you less compensation in your settlement. Call our Norfolk office at 757-625-1214 or complete our online form to schedule your free initial consultation today.