Dump trucks are heavy-duty trucks that haul gravel, sand, crushed stone, and other materials from construction sites or road projects. Because they can weigh up to 80,000 pounds when loaded, victims of a dump truck crash in Virginia could suffer catastrophic injuries or death. If you or a family member were injured in a dump truck wreck, you should immediately contact an experienced truck accident lawyer to protect your rights and obtain the justice you deserve.
Top Causes of Dump Truck Crashes
Truck driver negligence causes most dump truck accidents. The leading ways truck drivers cause tragic collisions include:
- Speeding. It will take longer for a dump truck driver to slow down or stop if they are speeding due to the massive size of a dump truck, often making it impossible for them to avoid a crash. Victims can suffer more severe injuries because the force of impact will be greater when the truck travels at a fast speed.
- Violating traffic laws. Dump truck drivers are expected to obey Virginia traffic laws. When they fail to yield the right of way, make unsafe lane changes, or drive too closely to other motor vehicles, they are much more likely to cause a preventable collision.
- Intoxication. It is extremely dangerous for a trucker to drive a dump truck when they are drunk. Their judgment, vision, reaction time, and more are severely reduced when they are intoxicated.
- Drowsy driving. Driving when drowsy affects a dump truck driver’s driving abilities, similar to driving when intoxicated, and increases the likelihood that they will cause an accident.
- Distracted driving. Talking on a cellphone, texting, looking at a GPS, and other distractions can take a dump truck driver’s mind and eyes off their driving, with disastrous results for nearby motorists.
- Unsecured loads. When truckers fail to properly load the materials so that they are evenly distributed or secure their load, the materials could fall off the truck, or the truck could roll over in a crash.
- Unmaintained trucks. If the dump truck is not maintained properly, a brake failure, tire blowout, or other maintenance problem could cause a wreck.
Contact Us for the Help You Need
Were you injured in a dump truck accident in Virginia Beach or Norfolk? You may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering from the negligent trucker and trucking company. Call our Norfolk office at 757-625-1214 or fill out our online form to schedule your free initial consultation today to learn how our dedicated truck accident attorneys can fight for the damages you deserve.