When an injury occurs due to medical malpractice, the patient is often left in shock and disbelief. She may be unsure of where to turn. These feelings are often magnified when the injury happens not to an adult, but to his or her baby. Sadly, it is not uncommon for negligence to injure a baby during the birthing process. This is known has a birth injury.
Birth injuries can range from mild to severe. It is not uncommon to see Erb’s palsy, cerebral palsy, bruising, brain injuries, and many more as a result of a birth injury. These injuries can cause lifelong complications for the individual.
The law provides for those who have become the victim of medical negligence to seek compensation. Those who have been affected due to a birth injury can and should contact an medical malpractice attorney to recover damages.
Some of the common errors that may be the cause of a birth malpractice lawsuit include:
- Umbilical cord entrapment. The baby be can put in harm’s way when the doctor or his staff fails to respond quickly and appropriately to umbilical cord entrapment.
- Fetal distress. Doctors should be aware when the baby is in fetal distress. This includes irregularities in the fetal heartbeat.
- C-section. The medical staff should know when to take action and order a caesarean section.
- Baby removal tools. Tools used to aid in the birthing process, such as forceps and vacuum extractors, should be used in the proper manner.
- Use of pitocin. This synthesized hormone is used to induce or speed up labor. When it is inappropriately used, it can put the mother and child in danger’s way.
Were you or your baby harmed in the birthing process? If so you need to contact a medical malpractice attorney at 757.625.1214. You can also fill out the contact form found on this page.