For many people, the most valuable thing they have is their health. People invest a lot of money and hours into getting and staying healthy. The loss of one’s health can be devastating and hard to deal with. This is especially true when one’s health is lost due to the negligence of another. Sadly, it is not uncommon for a doctor or health professional to be found at fault for negligence.
Medical malpractice in Norfolk is an unfortunate but a common problem. In fact, approximately 225,000 people die every year in the United States due to medical malpractice. For those who have been affected by medical malpractice, it is important to know that you have legal options.
Compensation may be awarded for the following:
- Medical Bills – Medical malpractice can cause medical bills to pile up. The amount of money that is spent on medical treatment, medical devices, hospital stays, and all other medical costs incurred due to the negligence may be recovered.
- Future medical bills – The negligent act of a medical professional can lead to complications that may require long-term medical care. These future medical costs may be awarded as compensation to the patient.
- Loss of wages – Sometimes, a patient is forced to miss work for treatment or because of illness. The wages that are lost because of this can be recouped.
- Loss of future wages – Negligence by a medical professional can lead to a patient being unable to work in the future. Long-term disability can be a horrible burden on future income. Through a claim, these losses can be recovered.
- Pain and suffering – Pain and suffering damages include physical pain resulting from the malpractice.
- Mental anguish – Any type of mental or emotional distress that is suffered as a result of the malpractice accident can be recovered.
If you are the victim of medical malpractice, it is important that you take legal action. You need to discuss your case with an experienced Norfolk medical malpractice lawyer at Tavss Fletcher. Call 757-625-1214 today for a free case evaluation.