Accidents with large trucks can be some of the most serious. The sheer size and weight of a big-rig makes it difficult for them to stop, and the damage can be quite severe. You or a loved one could be left seriously injured and unable to earn a living.
How to Avoid a Truck Accident
Fortunately, you can play a role in avoiding a serious accident with a tractor-trailer. Here are five steps to help keep you and your family safe:
- Avoid the truck’s blind spots. A truck’s blind spots are much larger that a regular-sized motorized vehicle. Avoid lingering alongside a truck. You may want to pass quickly or drop back behind it. Also, you should always pass a truck on the left.
- Don’t follow too close. Never tailgate a truck. Leaving ample space between your car and the truck will help you avoid a collision in the event the truck has to stop suddenly.
- Be careful on entrance ramps. Keep in mind that trucks are heavy and cannot stop or slow down as quickly as you can. Allow trucks plenty of room when entering a roadway or freeway, especially if another truck is nearby.
- Be extra careful at night or in bad weather. Utilize extra caution when visibility is poor or when bad weather creates poor road conditions. You should slow down and make sure that your headlights are on.
- Don’t hesitate to report dangerous truck drivers. Aggressive driving, erratic behavior, and excessive speeds on behalf of a truck driver can result in a fatal accident. Don’t hesitate to report a dangerous truck driver to authorities. You could end up saving the life of another motorist.
When a Truck Driver is Responsible for Your Injuries
Unfortunately, not all truck drivers you share the Virginia roadways with practice safe driving habits. Their negligence can result in you or a loved one suffering a serious truck driving injury. That is why you should call the experienced team at Tavvs Fletcher.
We have helped countless truck driving accident victims recover for their damages. We will fight hard to ensure your compensation rights are protected and that you get the best medical care possible.
If you have been injured in an accident, you should call a Virginia Beach truck accident attorney at Tavss Fletcher at (757) 625-1214. Let us help you get started building your case today.