Even if your car is safely parked in a parking lot or garage, you could be the victim of a car accident. It may even occur when you are not there. Fortunately, this reduces the risk that you will be personally injured. However, your vehicle could be severely damaged—sometimes in a hit and run accident.
What to Do If You Were in a Parked Car Accident
Just like in a car accident that involves injuries, you need to take steps to protect your right to compensation if another driver damages your parked vehicle. First, you want to remain calm so that the situation is less likely to escalate into a dangerous road rage incident. Then take these steps:
- Get medical care. If you were in your vehicle and injured in the accident, be certain to obtain prompt medical care. Even if you do not believe you suffered injuries, you should be examined by a doctor soon after the wreck.
- Contact the police. You should contact the police to report the accident as you may need the police report when you file your claim with the insurance company. It often includes important information, such as the officer’s conclusions as to who was the at-fault driver.
- Collect contact information. If the driver remained at the scene, you witnessed your vehicle being hit, or the driver left you a note, collect the contact information for the driver and his insurance company.
- Look for witnesses. Whether the driver remained at the scene or not, you want to check for witnesses who saw what happened and get their contact information.
- Check surveillance tapes. There is a good chance that you will be involved in a hit and run accident—and the driver may not leave you a note. Reviewing surveillance tapes can help determine who the negligent driver was.
- Take pictures. Be sure to take pictures of the damage to both vehicles and anything else pertaining to your accident.
- Contact insurance companies. You will need to file a claim with the negligent driver’s insurance company if you obtained their information from the negligent driver. You should also report the collision to your own insurance company in case you need to file a claim in the future.
Do you have questions regarding your parked car insurance claim or another accident claim? Our experienced car accident attorneys are here to help. Call our office or fill out our online form to get your questions answered.