After a car accident, select an attorney as soon as possible. Together, you will earn a fair recovery for the injuries and losses you sustained in the crash. However, it’s important to recognize that the driver who caused your crash and his insurance company will want to hand over as little money as possible—which means the car accident settlement process takes great time, attention, experience, and legal skill.
The Settlement Process Includes Many Steps
Everything occurring directly after the accident—collecting important evidence, seeking medical attention, and speaking with witnesses—gains real significance during the car accident settlement process. However, you should be prepared to go through many steps before you actually receive any compensation, including:
- Filing the claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company.
- Investigating the details of the crash. Not only will you and your attorney do this, but the insurance company of the at-fault driver will also attempt to shift liability from their policyholder and reduce the amount you’ll receive in your settlement.
- Calculating the damages you sustained as a result of the crash. This may include speaking with experts, such as your doctor, mechanic, or an accident reconstruction expert—who may be able to show what factors caused or worsened the crash.
- Submitting a pre-lawsuit demand package, which outlines exactly what you’ll need to cover your losses.
- Negotiating with the insurance company since they will likely claim that the amount you demanded is too high. If your lawyer cannot reach an agreement that suits your needs, he will prepare for a lawsuit.
- Going to court to earn adequate recovery for your medical bills, repair costs, attorney fees, and lost wages if no settlement was reached.
Lean On Your Attorney After a Crash
If you were recently in a crash and feel confused about what may happen in the weeks after, you should consult with an experienced attorney who can review the details of your case and advise you on your smartest options. The team at Tavss Fletcher invites you to come in for a free consultation and review session. You can set an appointment by calling our toll-free number today.