While some car accidents can result in only minor injuries or no injuries at all, a sideswipe crash can cause victims to suffer long-term injuries or death. This type of collision happens when two vehicles are traveling side by side and the right side of one vehicle strikes the left side of the other vehicle. They often occur on busy city streets and highways throughout the Norfolk area.
Leading Causes of Sideswipe Car Accidents
Sideswipe collisions are caused by some of the same reasons as other types of car wrecks and usually involve one motorist’s negligence. Major reasons for these collisions include:
- Unsafe lane changes. One of the most common causes of a sideswipe crash is a driver failing to check his blind spot before making a lane change. It can also be caused if a motorist makes a sudden lane change without using his turn signal to warn other motorists.
- Distracted driving. When a driver is texting, talking on a cell phone, eating or drinking, or engaging in other distracted driving practices, he can drift into the lane next to his without realizing it.
- Intoxication. Intoxication can impair a person’s vision, concentration, ability to judge distances, and other crucial driving skills. It is common for drunk drivers to weave into other lanes when driving, with a sideswipe accident being the likely consequence.
- Falling asleep. If a driver is too tired to drive, he can veer into a car next to his if he is fighting to stay away or falls asleep at the wheel.
- Aggressive driving. Some drivers who are engaged in aggressive driving or road rage can intentionally switch lanes suddenly even if there is not enough space to safely do so and they know that they are endangering others.
Why Sideswipe Collisions Are So Dangerous
Sideswipe accidents frequently occur on expressways where the vehicles are traveling at higher speeds and the force of the impact is greater. In addition, the knee jerk reaction of a driver who realizes his vehicle is about to be hit may be to try to swerve out of the way. This may cause him to strike another nearby vehicle, and can quickly escalate into a multi-vehicle crash.
Another danger is that the victim could lose control of his vehicle and cause a rear-end or head-on collision or be forced to the shoulder of the road where his vehicle may strike a guardrail or cement barrier. Even worse, his car could roll over.
Are you the victim of a sideswipe accident? You may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Our experienced car accident attorneys can collect the evidence you need to prove the other driver’s negligence and fight so that you receive a fair settlement. Fill out our contact form on this page to schedule a free consultation today.