Just imagine if you could add up the costs of motor vehicle accidents and injures for an entire year – the total number spent on caring for accident victims would undoubtedly be staggering. Well, that is exactly what the National Safety Council does every year, to illustrate the impact that these collisions have on the nation’s economy.
As you can imagine, it is very difficult to tally up all of the costs associated with injuries sustained by all the men, women, and children involved in a traffic crash. For this reason, all the numbers provided by the National Safety Council are estimates, but the totals are still illuminating.
Cost of Motor Vehicle Accidents
These estimated costs for motor vehicle accidents and injuries include wage and productivity losses, medical expenses, administrative expenses, motor vehicle damage, and employers’ uninsured costs.
Motor vehicle accident average costs:
- Average cost for each death in a motor vehicle accident: $1,130,000
- Average cost for each nonfatal disabling injury: $61,600
- Average cost for each property damage crash (includes non-disabling injuries): $7,500
Motor vehicle accident costs by severity:
- Average economic cost for incapacitating injury crash: $65,000
- Average economic cost for non-incapacitating evident injury crash: $21,00
- Average economic cost for possible injury crash: $11,900
The above numbers only take into account the economic impact of motor vehicle accidents. To properly value the true cost of an accident including a measure of the value of lost quality of life, the National Safety Council came up with different numbers.
Average comprehensive cost of motor vehicle crashes per injured person:
- Comprehensive cost of a death: $4,100,000
- Comprehensive cost of an incapacitating injury: $208,500
- Comprehensive cost of a non-incapacitating evident injury: $53,200
- Comprehensive cost of a possible injury: $25,300
- Comprehensive cost of no injury: $2,300
If you or someone you love has been injured in a Virginia or North Carolina car or truck accident, then you know firsthand how devastating a crash event can be. Truly, there is no way to put a dollar amount on the suffering and pain experienced by an accident victim and his or her family.
If you would like to speak with an experienced Virginia lawyer about your accident case, please contact the personal injury attorneys at Tavss Fletcher today. We can help you secure justice and get back on your feet after a debilitating crash.
555 East Main Street, 14th Floor
Norfolk, VA 23510
Telephone: (757) 625-1214
Facsimile: (757) 622-7295