f you are a medical malpractice victim, you might be able to hold the negligent party responsible for your injury. However, building a successful case is not as easy as it may seem. Finding the right medical malpractice attorney to represent you is critical.
What You Should Ask When Interviewing an Attorney
In the same way you answer tough questions when interviewing for a job, you should ask tough questions when selecting a medical malpractice attorney. Remember, they are interviewing for a job—to work for you. Here are seven questions you should ask:
- Where did you go to law school? Knowing where they went to law school will give you an indication of the quality of their education. You may also want to know where they received their undergraduate degree. You can then research each school.
- How long have you been practicing law? The last thing you want is to have an inexperienced lawyer representing your case. Your primary goal is to get the best compensation possible.
- How long have you been handling medical malpractice cases? Again, experience is key. Though an attorney may have been practicing law for years, they may not have enough experience to represent your specific circumstances.
- What are the percentage of cases that you settle and the percentage you take to court? Not call cases settle. You want to make sure you have an attorney who is not afraid of the courtroom.
- How many medical malpractice victims do you represent annually? It’s important to have a lawyer who specializes in medical malpractice cases and who is up to date on recent changes in state laws. This can impact the amount you receive greatly.
- Have you represented victims with similar circumstances to my own? Each case is unique. You want an attorney who understands and has experience in handling your specific type of injury.
- What bar associations or other professional organizations do you belong to? You will want to do your homework before hiring an attorney. Having this information will shed light on the type of person you are considering, and you will be able to investigate if there are any complaints filed against that lawyer.
Experience is Key
Experience is probably the most important criterion to consider. Our team at Tavss Fletcher has helped hundreds of victims recover for their damages. Our firm enjoys the respect of and tremendous reputation in the legal community. We specialize in representing medical malpractice victims and can help you get the compensation you deserve.
If you have been injured by the negligence of a nurse, doctor, or other healthcare professional, you should call one of our experienced Virginia medical malpractice attorneys at Tavss Fletcher at (757) 625-1214. Our team is not afraid to answer any of the above questions or any others you have. Call us today for an evaluation of your medical malpractice case.