Due to the nature of slip and fall accidents, they can happen just about anywhere. However, there are common places that many people frequent where these accidents occur. Knowing where the dangers of being injured will be greatest can help you avoid an accident and understand how to proceed if you need to file a claim for compensation.
Common Places Where Slip and Fall Accidents Occur
Where a slip and fall accident happens can matter. It can affect who is responsible for compensating you and the type of insurance coverage available. Some common locations where you could be injured include:
- Homes. If you injure yourself at someone’s home, it is often someone you know, like a family member, friend, or neighbor. You will need to file a claim under their homeowner’s insurance policy. It can be awkward to do this but you need to remember that you are pursuing a claim with an insurance company who will pay your settlement, not the person you know. If the property was rental property, you may need to review the person’s lease to see if the tenant or landlord was responsible for the defective condition causing your fall.
- Parking lots and garages. Cracked pavement, poor lighting, and unsafe handrails are a few causes of falls in parking lots and garages. Liablity may depend on who owned the property, whether it was rented to another entity to operate or manage, and who was liable for maintenance under the agreement between these parties.
- Public areas. If a slip and fall accident happens at a public park, swimming pool, public restroom, or other public location, a governmental entity could face liability. However, there are special rules for holding a government liable for its negligence, and you should consult with an experienced personal injury attorney to avoid waiving important rights.
- Big box stores and grocery stores. Determining the liable party and proving fault can be complex when an accident occurs at a big box store, mall, grocery store, or other retail store. Often the business will rent the space where it is located, and an attorney will need to review its lease to determine who was responsible for keeping guests safe.
- Restaurants and bars. Restaurants and bars are common locations for slip and fall accidents due to the hazards of spilled food and drinks, poor lighting, and defects in the floor. Depending on the cause of the fall and who was responsible for the hazard, you may need to pursue a claim against the restaurant, the property owner, or both.
- Office buildings. There are many areas where slip and fall dangers are present, such as dirty bathrooms, defective stairways, elevators and escalators, parking lots, and areas with defective and worn flooring. This is another situation where determining who is the responsible party can be complicated.
Some accident victims do not realize how difficult it can be to identify the liable parties or to prove negligence in a slip and fall accident. If you were injured due to a fall, you cannot expect to make these determinations without the help of an experienced accident injury attorney. Call our office today to schedule a consultation to learn how we can help you build a strong slip and fall accident claim.