While any head-on collision is dangerous, it can be especially deadly if a motorcycle is involved. The rider has no protection other than his helmet and clothes to protect him from the impact of a much larger passenger vehicle or truck hitting him. If you were the victim of one of these accidents, an experienced motorcycle accident attorney can help fight for the compensation that you are entitled to for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
What Are the Causes of Motorcycle Head-On Crashes?
Many negligent driving practices can cause a driver to cross over the center lane right into the path of an oncoming motorcycle. Some common causes include:
- Taking curves too quickly. When motorists are speeding around a curve, they can lose control of their vehicle and collide with a motorcycle head-on.
- Unsafe passing. If a driver passes in a no-pass zone or misjudges his ability to pass a slower vehicle when this is permitted on a two-way road, it can be impossible for him to avoid causing a head-on collision.
- Distracted driving. When a driver is texting, talking on a cell phone, eating and drinking, or engaging in other distracted driving practices, he can drift out of his lane without even knowing it—until it is too late.
- Drunk driving. Intoxication reduces many vital driving skills, such as reaction time, vision, judgment, and ability to properly judge distances. Many tragic head-on collisions are caused when drunk drivers cross into oncoming traffic or go the wrong way on a highway exit or entrance ramp, highway, or road.
- Drowsy driving. Driving when fatigued is as dangerous as driving when intoxicated. A driver who falls asleep at the wheel even for just a few seconds can drift over the center line right into an oncoming motorcycle.
If you were hurt in a head-on accident or another type of motorcycle accident, you could suffer long-term injuries that require expensive medical treatments and cause you to be off work for months or longer—if you can return to your job at all. Let our experienced motorcycle accident attorneys negotiate your settlement so that you receive the compensation that you deserve. To learn more about your legal options and to get your questions answered, call our Norfolk office to schedule a free consultation with our skilled motorcycle accident lawyers.