As a motorist, you have a responsibility to improve highway safety, especially around tractor-trailers. Your safe driving habits can help reduce your risk of being seriously injured in a truck accident in Virginia Beach.
Avoiding a Truck Accident
You should take extra precaution when approaching a large truck. Keep in mind that trucks behave differently from other types of vehicles. Here are some driver safety tips:
- Maintain a safe distance from any large vehicle. Give trucks at least four to six seconds of space, especially in wet weather or on the highway.
- Avoid blind spots. Remember, if you can’t see a truck’s side mirrors, the driver can’t see you.
- Don’t hesitate to call authorities if you witness unsafe trucking behavior. You could save the life of another motorist.
- Always allow a truck the sufficient time and space it needs to make a turn. Keep in mind that trucks generally make wide turns, especially when turning right.
- Avoid passing a truck on the right, even if the truck appears to be turning left. Most trucks swing to the left before they turn right. See which way the trucker is signaling before making any attempts to pass.
If You Have Been Hurt in a Truck Accident
If you have been injured in an accident with a tractor-trailer, you should call a Virginia Beach truck accident attorney at Tavss Fletcher at (757) 625-1214. Our goal is to get you the compensation and medical care you deserve.