Facial injuries and scarring are some of the most common injuries that victims suffer in car accidents. Victims can require expensive medical treatments and reconstruction surgery. Even if they obtain the medical care they need, victims often must endure pain, permanent injuries, and scarring that can cause psychological trauma. Fortunately, they may be entitled to compensation for their injuries from the negligent driver under Virginia law.
How Facial Injuries and Scars Are Caused in Car Accidents
- Debris and flying objects
- Broken glass
- Contact with the steering wheel, dashboard, or side window
- Ejection from the vehicle
- Being propelled through the windshield
- Airbag deployment
Types of Facial Injuries and Permanent Scars You Could Suffer
Drivers and passengers can suffer a variety of injuries and scarring to their faces. Some common injuries include:
- Broken bones. There are at least 14 bones in the face that can be broken or fractured in an auto wreck. Injuries to the sinuses, eyes, mouth, tongue, teeth, nose, and cheek bones can cause chronic pain, scars, loss of vision, brain damage, and more.
- Deformities. Some facial injuries will not heal correctly even with extensive medical treatment, and permanent deformities, such as sunken cheek bones, can result. Because deformities affect the victim’s appearance, they can also cause low self-esteem, anxiety, and other psychological trauma that can have life-long impacts on his life.
- Lacerations. Deep cuts and lacerations from glass or other objects can cause permanent scars on the victim’s face, which can reduce his quality of life in similar ways as deformities.
- Burns. If a car catches on fire or explodes, a driver or passenger could suffer life-threating burns that can require extensive plastic surgery and cause permanent scars and disfigurement.
- Eye injuries. Debris, flying glass, and other objects can pierce an individual’s eye in an accident. A victim can suffer devasting reductions to his vision or blindness.
Did you suffer facial injuries or other injuries in an auto accident? Our dedicated and compassionate car accident lawyers will fight for the compensation you deserve from the negligent driver and his insurance company. To learn more, call our office or start a live chat to schedule a free, no-obligation case evaluation.